An Irate mob, on Thursday, killed seven travellers labelled as kidnappers at Udune Efandion community in Uromi, Esan North-East local government area of the state.
It was gathered that the victims, primarily Hausa hunters, were en route from Port Harcourt to Kano for the Sallah festivities when they were intercepted around 1:30 p.m. by local vigilantes.
A source in the community said, “The sight of their hunting guns, Dane guns, was misinterpreted as a threat. Instead of contacting the police or other security agencies, local vigilantes raised a false alarm, which ignited a wave of chaos and violence.
“Local youths, incited by the accusations, attacked the travellers, resulting in the tragic loss of 7 lives on the spot. The mob set the truck ablaze, leaving some bodies trapped inside the vehicle. While some people were taken out on a wheelbarrow and thrown inside fire. Responsive action from security operatives came too late for the victims. By the time they arrived on the scene following a distress call, the damage had been done. Four survivors were rescued and rushed to His Grace Hospital in Uromi for urgent medical treatment.”
Meanwhile, Edo State governor, Monday Okpebholo, has condemned the incident, describing the act as barbaric and condemnable.
Speaking through the Chief Security Officer (CSO), Government House, SP Solomon Osaghale, the Governor vowed to ensure that the perpetuators were brought to justice and made to face the full wrath of the law.
SP Osaghale confirmed that the victims had boarded a commercial truck intercepted by members of local security who discovered some guns with the victims after searching the vehicle.
While condemning the act, SP Oseghale said, “I can assure you that the people involved in this unprovoked attacked will not go scot -free, as His Excellency has directed the Commissioner of Police to launch a full scale investigation into the matter. As I speak now, over four persons have been arrested for their involvement in this ugly incidence.”
The CSO called for calm, while assuring the law abiding residents of Uromi, especially the Hausa Community in the area to go about their daily activities. He assured that men of the Nigerian Police Force and other security agencies have been deployed to restore peace and normalcy to the place.
Appreciating the Governor for his swift response, the leader of the Hausa Community in Uromi, Mallam Aliyu Haruna, thanked Governor Okpebholo for deploying the CSO and other security personnel to the community.
“I must tell you that this is the first time a thing like this is happening in Uromi and it baffles me because, Uromi people have been so accommodating to us in the Hausa Community. Over the years, we have lived peacefully among the indigenes. Our sojourn in this land has spanned over seventy years. I was given birth to here, and so are many other people you are seeing here today”, he said.